7.16.2016

We have twins!

We have lived in our home for a little over 12 years. It was a big change, moving from the Chicago suburbs to a rural setting in Wisconsin. Over the years we have enjoyed watching the wildlife that passes through our yard.

When we first moved here, we had dozens of deer walk through our yard daily. Then for some reason, for several years, there were no sightings at all. We would see evidence of a few passing through, footprints in snow and mud and occasionally tops missing from plants. But we never actually saw a deer.

Last year, we started seeing them again on a regular basis. A few times a week we would see them in the early evening, passing through the back corner of our lot. This year, we see them almost daily. We have several female yearlings, one who walks up my drive way several evenings during the week. And we have a mamma with one little fawn.

This morning when I went to make my coffee I looked out the window and thought I saw a mamma with twins. The babies were just inside the tree line and close together, so I wasn't sure if it was 1 or 2. I grabbed my camera and went quietly out the front door. I can get to the edge of the house without the deer seeing me and then I can step out behind some trees to get a little closer to them.

When I was able to get a good look at the area I could only see an adult deer. Since I was there, I might as well take a picture. As I went to lift up my camera, the doe, who was chewing on a bush stopped and looked my way.
I thought, awe great, she's going to take off! But instead, she started walking back towards me.
I was afraid she would take off running if she got a good look at me, so I just stood still until she started off into the woods. As, I go to snap a photo, she looks my way again.                                 
Then off into the woods she goes. I go into the house and look out my kitchen window. Her she comes, out of the woods and back down my neighbors fence line.                                              

About an hour later, my husband and I are in the kitchen. I am telling him that I thought I saw a deer with twins out in the yard this morning. We glance out the window and guess who is there. Two little fawns. Again I grab my camera. 


I didn't see a mamma with them, hopefully she's somewhere close.
                                                                                                                                                       


No comments: