6.08.2010

ABC WEDNESDAY ~U~

Thanks to the ABC Team: Denise, Roger, Barb, Jay, Gattina, Sylvia, and Troy for providing this Meme.
YES, it is that time again for ABC WEDNESDAY.

Today's letter is U. My word for today is ... UNDERWATER.

First, let me say, of all my family members (5 of us), I am the one that is most unlikely to be in water.

#1. I don't like water in my face. (I am sure this is due to some undeniably, horrific experience that I had as a child ... even if I can no longer remember it.)

#2. I am NOT a strong swimmer. So, if you are with me in the water, don't look to me to save you if something should happen. It's all I can do to save myself.

With that being said ... If you have looked at my blog or any of my ABC Wednesday post, you know that for our 30th Anniversary, my husband and I went on a cruise. It was an unforgettable experience!
It was also the only cruise that "we" will ever take. Where we went was up to me. I chose a cruise, with hundreds of people on board. His choice would be some uncrowded place where he could nap the days away (and yes, he did do some of that.) All our excursions were geared towards him. All excursions included water.

Knowing I would be in the water and wanting to document this unique experience was one of my goals.
I researched and then bought a little Pentax Optio W60, point and shoot waterproof Camera.

At first I was uneasy about the whole thing, after all, I had to be underwater. Taking pictures in the ocean is a great undertaking, the fish are moving, you are moving, and the water is moving.












As you can see, the fish seem unconcerned, even unaware of people in the water.
This truly was an ULTIMATE vacation.
For more U words got to ABC WEDNESDAY.








11 comments:

Mara said...

I would love to take a cruise some day. I am not so much afraid of the water as I am of being seasick every single day!

Great underwater photos.

Sylvia K said...

Marvelous captures and I love them all! You did a terrific job! I learned to snorkle on an island off the coast of Mexico a number of years ago and I, too, got waterproof camera and it was the most fun!! And I enjoyed a cruise as well with more snorkeling. Such a beautiful world underwater. Wonderful post for the day! Hope your week is going well and I'm so glad you had such a great trip!!

Sylvia

Amy said...

What a good sport you are! You did a great job capturing the underworld - thanks for sharing.

photowannabe said...

Cruises are wonderful and bravo to you for doing it. Your pictures turned out fabulously.

Kim, USA said...

Love your underwater shots. You are a brave girl I don't know if I could do that. I too am not a water person. ^_^


ABC Wednesday~U

Roger Owen Green said...

I tried snorkling in 1999. What a bust!
Nice pics.
ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Gayle said...

Great underwater shots. I can almost feel the fish tickling my toes!

Jay at The Depp Effect said...

Those are GREAT pictures of fish! I'd love to try to take underwater pictures ...

I'm just as much of a coward as you in the water. I can swim - I used to be able to swim about half a mile - but I cough and splutter so easily that I panic.

Glad you enjoyed the cruise!

ChrisJ said...

Well good for you! You faced up to your fears as I would never have done. I had 'learning to swim' on my bucket list, but had to take it off. I'm too claustrophobic and also have bouts of vertigo. (I'm 72). I've got one more thing on my bucket list: to pet a tiger. I'd have no problem doing that, just the lack of opportunity. I think I would have to make a LARGE donation to some zoological place before I'd get that chance. But I'm on the lookout.

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

love these fish!

LisaF said...

What a wonderful way to overcome a fear. The photos are beautiful. I'm sure you will be forever happy you chose to do this.